Foreign Divorce Opinion Letter; divorce obtained outside Canada

If you obtained a divorce outside Canada, you must seek authorization from the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services before you can get a marriage licence in Ontario. You will also need to get a letter of Opinion recognizing a divorce obtained outside Canada.

You must complete the following forms:



  • An original or court-certified copy (certified by the proper court officer in the place the divorce or annulment was granted) of the divorce decree or annulment. A translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator is required if in a language other than English or French.


  • A legal opinion from a lawyer, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

At Nzemeke Law Office, we can assist you with a legal opinion letter. Please contact us at 416-901- 8331

Better yet see us in person

Feel free to visit by appointment.